Freelance Writer * Novelist * Magazine Editor
* Researched and written over 2,000 articles and webpages for magazines, companies, and websites in over a dozen countries ranging from the UK to the USA via South Africa, Australia, Austria, and Japan.
* Founded The Nightingale Magazine and grew magazine to 16 pages and 5,000 copies with a volunteer designer and a network of volunteers to deliver. Bootstrapped the magazine to monthly profitability despite 0 budget and little time to grow advertisers beyond a small base.
* Oversaw outreach for several large agencies including SEO, marketing, and content writing sales. Recorded high conversion rates and client retention rates.
* Managed content writing for several big businesses across the UK and in the USA including the rehabilitation, healthcare, automotive, financial, and home consumables industries. Increased keyword search results, site visits, and conversion rates.
* Founded a free after-school cram school with colleague Takaaki Oi for disadvantaged students in the Katashimo Minami area of Osaka, Japan. Helped all students within the class improve their maths, English, and Japanese, and to get into local high schools.
Managing Director, Ironmould Tyning Ltd, 2014 to present
* Activated the company in order to process advertising and writing fees for The Nightingale magazine.
Freelance Writer, 2010 to present
* Written over 1,000 articles on a wide range of topics including financial, current affairs, psychology, consumer goods, health, arts and crafts, pets, book reviews, and other topics.
* Penned over 1,000 pages of website content for the pharmaceutical, technology, real estate, financial, health, mental health, furniture, and consumer goods industries.
* Founded The Nightingale Magazine as an independent community and news magazine
* Responsible for writing articles for Kansai Time Out, Kansai Scene, and the Austin Post among others.
* Devised, planned, and successfully completed complex SEO outreach services for multi-million dollar UK and USA companies including those in the pharmaceutical, consumer goods, rehabilitation, and financial industries.
* Built successful social media campaigns for a number of companies.
* Currently building a range of independent websites focussing on core interests and writing output.
* Created high quality resume and biography combinations for leading American executives.
Assistant Language Tutor, JET Programme, 2004 to 2009
* Hired as an ALT in Kashiwara for 3 years and then Kishiwada for 2 more years, staying the maximum 5 years on the programme.
* Taught 99 different classes spread over 7 schools including some of the poorest schools in Japan with the worst disciplinary reputations.
* Helped improve the English ability of 100% of students by ignoring Japanese textbooks.
* Founded an after school cram session with Takaaki Oi to help disadvantaged students improve their maths, Japanese and English prior to high school entrance exams.
* Combatted bullying, student absenteeism, and sexism within Japanese society.
* Coached students in speech contests with high success rates, joined inter-cultural events, led the Association of JET teachers for 1 year, and dealt with numerous ALT personal issues.
Covering Manager, Millets, 2003 to 2004
* Responsible for leading shop performance, managing staff, deploying resources, hiring new staff when required, organizing rotas, store changeovers, policies, and layout.
* Led Cirencester store to above target growth.
* Evacuated store and neighbouring stores during a fire with no one hurt. Worked with investigation crews to find the cause, and undertook a full shop clearance prior to its rebuilding.
* Took up Assistant Management role in Bristol prior to taking over as cover manager for 2 months until a replacement was found.
* Undertook numerous audits in conjunction with official company auditors including Millets stores in Bath, Bristol, and Cirencester, and including affiliated Animal stores.
Grocery Assistant, Somerfield Ltd, 1996-2000
BA Ancient History and Archaeology (2:1), University of Wales, Lampeter (now Trinity St. Davids)
Boards & Community Organizations
Chair, Brislington Community Partnership (2013 to present)
Founding Treasurer, Friends of Brislington Brook (2013-14)
Founding Member, Hungerford Road and Beyond (2016 to present)
British Red Cross (2010)
Regional Representative – South Osaka (2006-09)
Editor, The Osakan (2005-06)
Chair, Osaka AJET (2005-06)
Clubs, Societies and Associations Officer, University of Wales, Lampeter Students’ Union (2001-02)
Drama Officer & Student Liaison Officer, Drovers Arts Festival (2000-02)
Staff-Student Liaison Committee Member – Classics Department (1999-01)
See my bibliography page right here.